Tuesday 23 June 2009

Mayebeshewestlondon.

Despite my heavy eyes and aching head I wanted to write this entry about the weekend that just passed. I spent the majority of it in the capital with my good friends Maybeshewill. They were unlucky enough to lose their bassist the previous weekend, and asked me to cover for this gig in Brixton. I swiftly accepted, dusted off my Jazz Bass and got busy in drop C#. (It just took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to do a hash on a Mac keyboard..)

A week, three rehearsals, and a new jack lead later I was just about ready for it. The journey down to the capital was cool, good tunes, relative comfort in the back of the Maybeshewill van. Although, we spent more time on the road going through the west side of London than we did getting to London itself..

After passing Marble Arch, Buckingham Palace Gardens, Park Lane, the Thames, and MI5 we eventually got to Brixton, and the venue. It was quite a pleasant place, lots of nice people about and a free BBQ, which we immediately swarmed upon. The event was an all-dayer ran by the excellent Cats and Cats and Cats. I managed to catch most of the bands playing of which Shield Your Eyes, Jairus, and Catsx3 stood out the most. We met some nice people, a dog that lived on the roof, and got asked where Jesus was born, before it was our turn to play.

Considering it was 11:30 after an all day event there was a pleasing turnout for our set, which went relatively hiccup free. I broke my belt, and inevitably messed up a couple of times, but really enjoyed it. I think there were a couple of videos taken, which would be interesting to see. It was quite different playing bass on stage, after playing drums with my band for nigh-on two years, but it was nice to swing about a bit (a lot) and have a little expression.

After our set, we packed everything up, got in the van and cracked open some cans. After a couple of hours, a whole heap of TUNES and an amount of beer/cider, we were back in Leicester, and promptly went into Firebug for more drink, with Nathan and Cem (Buenos Aires), Gav (Minnaars) and a few other characters. Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment